Friday, June 02, 2006

Snippets

Yesterday I saw something really interesting.

A new "international" grocery store opened up at the old Thriftway on Walnut. As I was driving home around 6:30, I saw two men on motorized wheelchairs riding home with their groceries, with a woman on foot trailing behind them. That was kind of interesting, but what I was really looking at was the 20-lb bag of rice that one man was balancing on his head as he scooted up Locust Street.

I guess it just feels like a heavy hat.
--

Uly came to visit last weekend. Friday afternoon I spent with my Frenchie girls, and Friday evening we went out. Vietnamese pho house, fruit shakes, and then two of my favorite bars: Nodding Head (for its brews) and McGlinchy's (for its Ms. PacMan, of course). Saturday was a family-filled day. First, Oregon with Nati, then Home Depot, beer distributor, Pathmark, and nap time at home. Uly and I passed out while Nati watched Family Guy. We made it to Neel's on time for the surprise, and ate SO MUCH GOOD BRAZILIAN FOOD. Yum. We had managed to find a case of Brazilian beer also, so we were boozing it up with beer and margaritas.

Fat family weekend.
--

...And now a rant from our sponsors:
It is a horrible thing to feel unsupported by close friends. It is a horrible thing to have to resort to asking for help from people from whom it should be readily given, and even worse to then be denied. Every time that I encounter someone who adheres to a radically different set of social norms from mine, I freak out, and I don't hold it in. Idon't see why I should, unless I feel physically threatened, and sometimes I do.
With every person in your life, you achieve a level of comfort, a set of expectations, some sort of boundaries. When that level changes, when that set is not met, when those boundaries are moved, it is upsetting.
For whatever reason, I have had several friends who were members of my peer group pass away early in life. At the first funeral I attended, I felt strongly to say everything important out loud to anyone who matters to me, and since then, I have made concerted efforts to do so. People don't understand why I am like I am, why I demand what I demand, and this is part of it. I am such a product of my experiences.

No comments: