Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Lessons My Father Taught Me: 01

This is the beginning of a new themed post.

Always keep yourself moisturized/hydrated.

This addresses several issues:

  • chapped lips
  • dry skin (face and body)
  • dehydration and the related issues: headaches, cramps, fatigue, sore throat, nosebleeding, mood changes, itches
When I was very young, my father would drop me off at school, and before I would jump out of the AeroStar and onto the playground, I would use the carchapstick and say goodbye to my dad ("See ya later, alligator!" "After a while, crocodile!" "See you soon, you big baboon!" "Anytime, lemon-lime!" "Okie-dokie, smokie!"). It was a twice-daily routine. He made it clear that it was imperative that my lips not be chapped. If he were to catch me licking my lips he would snap for me to stop and immediately give me chapstick.

An extention of this moisture craze was the Morning Glass of Water. Every morning when I awoke, I would be greeted by both the sun and a parent, toting the Morning Glass of Water. I drank that water before I spoke some days. On others, I would protest, but I always had to have water in the morning, and water after school. Before bed, water (or warm milk, when I was unable to fall asleep). Water was the cure for many ailments. Most complaints that I had would be met with a glass of water first, then possible medication, rest, or food afterwards.
Always, always, water first.

The next way to maintain proper hydration, if not from the inside (via water) or for ailing lips, would be to use lotion. Ashy limbs, dry or chapped hands were unacceptable. Also, dry skin on your face is unseemly.

No comments: